A patent may be granted in Belize only for an invention which satisfies the following conditions:
- The invention must be new – it must never have been made public in any way, anywhere in the world, before the date on which the patent application is filed.
- It must not be known to the body of existing knowledge (prior art) in its relevant technical field.&
- The invention must involve an inventive step – it must not be obvious to a person with a good knowledge and experience of the subject, when compared with what is already known.
- The invention must be capable of industrial application – it must be capable of being made or used in some kind of industry.
An invention is not patentable if it is:
- a discovery;
- a scientific theory or mathematical method;
- an aesthetic creation such as a literary, dramatic or artistic work;
- a scheme or method for performing a mental act, playing a game or doing business;
- the presentation of information, or a computer program;
- a method of treatment for the human or animal body by surgery or therapy, as well as diagnostic methods practiced on the human or animal body;
- a new animal or plant variety.
Requirements to apply for a Grant of Patent
- Power of Attorney to Agent to be completed and signed by the authorized signatory of the Applicant Company. Legalization or notarization is not required.
- Petition for Patent to be completed with updated information, if necessary, and signed by the authorized signatory of the Applicant Company.
- Kindly note that for the Specification (A Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT)) national phase applicant may file the petition without submitting copies of the relevant specification, international application, international search report and international preliminary examination report.
- The specification must include the background and a description of the invention. The description must be written in clear language and must include enough detail so that an individual with an average understanding of the field could use or reproduce the invention.
Schedule of Fees in respect of the foregoing is available upon request.
For further information in respect of the above or regarding the registration of INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS, COPYRIGHT, UTILITY MODEL CERTIFICATES and other related services, please feel free to contact us for assistance.
Domain Name Registration & Health and Sanitary Registrations
A Belize IP Attorney can also assist with Domain Name Registration & Health and Sanitary Registrations. Please email us for further information.